1. JOHN1 STANLEY. He married MARY SUTHERLAND, daughter of JOHN SUTHERLAND and MARY GERMAN. She was born October 22, 1767.
Child of JOHN STANLEY and MARY SUTHERLAND is:
|2.||i.||DANIEL SUTHERLAND2 STANLEY, b. 1800, Vermont; d. 1883.|
2. DANIEL SUTHERLAND2 STANLEY (John1) was born 1800 in Vermont1, and died 1883. He married HANNAH CRANMER on November 23, 1820 in Summit County, Ohio2, daughter of JEREMIAH CRANMER and HANNAH COLE. She was born 1802 in New York3, and died April 1880. They are buried in the Northfield-Macedonia Cemetery, Northfield, Ohio.
His parents, Daniel S. and Hannah C. (Cranmer) Stanley, were natives of Vermont and New York, respectively. Daniel S. Stanley came to Ohio in 1816, settled on a farm in Summit County, and was engaged in agricultural pursuits all his life. Both he and his wife were members of the Methodist Episcopal church for many years, he holding various official positions in the church. It was at a camp meeting in Ohio that they first became acquainted. She died in April, 1880 at the age of seventy-eight, and he the same year, at the age of eighty. For a number of years he served as Justice of the Peace, and few men were better known or more highly respected than he.
W. F. Stanley is the youngest of twelve children, eight of whom, four sons and four daughters are still living. (1893)
Source: Biographical History of Northeastern Ohio: p 562 - 563 (Biography of Wilbur F. Stanley)
Children of DANIEL STANLEY and HANNAH CRANMER are:
|3.||i.||JOHN G.3 STANLEY, b. Abt. 1820, Ohio.|
|ii.||MARY STANLEY, b. Bet. June 02, 1824 - June 01, 1825, Ohio; m. DAVID SMITH.|
|4.||iii.||DANIEL CARPENTER STANLEY, b. 1827, Ohio; d. 1867.|
|iv.||HENRY STANLEY, b. Bet. June 02, 1829 - June 01, 1830, Ohio.|
|v.||ESTHER STANLEY, b. Bet. June 02, 1830 - June 02, 1831, Ohio.|
|5.||vi.||MORRIS WESLEY STANLEY, b. Bet. June 02, 1833 - June 01, 1834, Ohio.|
|vii.||SARAH STANLEY, b. Bet. June 02, 1835 - June 01, 1836, Ohio.|
|6.||viii||LUCIEN BLISS STANLEY, b. March 12, 1839, Northfield, Ohio; d. March 07, 1920, Collinwood, Ohio.|
|ix.||EMELINE STANLEY, b. Bet. June 02, 1841 - June 01, 1842, Ohio.|
|x.||WILBUR F. STANLEY, b. February 19, 1843, Summit County, Ohio5; m. ALICE H. GOULD, June 09, 1871, Conneaut, Ashtabula County, Ohio.
From "Biographical History of Northeastern Ohio", p 562 - 563:
Wilbur F. Stanley, an enterprising and highly esteemed citizen of Conneaut, Ohio, who has been engaged in railroad contracting for some years, was born in Summit County, Ohio February 19, 1843.
W. F. Stanley is the youngest of twelve children, eight of whom are still living. He remained on his father's farm until he was 18, receiving his education in the schools of his native state. In 1861, his restless and ambitious nature led him to go West, and in the pineries of Wisconsin he was engaged in the lumber business two years. Coming back to Ohio, he turned his attention to the railroad business. He was division master on the track of the Lake Shore railroad until 1871, with the exception of some time spent in the army. From 1871 up to the present time, he has been engaged in contracting, having built about 500 miles of road. In March 1865, he enlisted in Company C, One Hundred and Fifteenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and remained in the service until November of that year, participating in several skirmishes, but most of the time being on guard duty. Mr Stanley has been identified with Conneaut since February 1, 1863. He built the Stanley Block in this city in 1889 - '90. He is a stockholder in the Conneaut Mutual Loan Association. He takes an active interest in the various public enterprises of the city; and, indeed, any movement which has for its object the advancement of the best interests of Conneaut is sure to find him a hearty supporter.
Mr. Stanley was married May 9, 1871 to Miss Alice Gould, daughter of Lorin and Mary (Silverthorne) Gould of Conneaut. Her father died in 1889, at the age of eighty years and her mother is still living, now seventy-one.
Mr. Stanley has an active interest in social organizations. He is a member of the Masonic order, of which he is Past Master of Evergreen Lodge, No. 222; Past High Priest of Conneaut Chapter, No. 70; member of the Cache Commandery, No. 27; is a member of the Knights of Pythias, and a comrade of Custer Post, No. 9, G. A. R. In politics he is a Republican.
|xi.||ADELBERT STANLEY, b. Bet. June 02, 1845 - June 01, 1846, Ohio.|
3. JOHN G.3 STANLEY (DANIEL SUTHERLAND2, JOHN1) was born Abt. 1820 in Ohio. He was a farmer and married MARY ANN ?. She was born Bet. June 02, 1824 - June 01, 1825 in New Hampshire / Massachusetts.
Children of JOHN STANLEY and MARY ? are:
|i.||LOUISA / LAURA A.4 STANLEY, b. Bet. June 02, 1846 - June 01, 1847.|
|ii.||RAYMOND STANLEY, b. Bet. June 02, 1854 - June 01, 1855.|
4. DANIEL CARPENTER3 STANLEY (DANIEL SUTHERLAND2, JOHN1) was born 1827 in Ohio, and died 1867. He married PHOEBE RAINEY February 05, 1854 in Summit, Ohio. She was born 1837 in Ohio, and died 1861.
Children of DANIEL STANLEY and PHOEBE RAINEY are:
|i.||MYRTLE4 STANLEY, b. Northfield, Ohio; m. WILLIAM MARVIN SOUTHERN.|
|ii.||ELMER STANLEY, b. Bet. June 02, 1855 - June 01, 1856.|
5. MORRIS WESLEY3 STANLEY (DANIEL SUTHERLAND2, JOHN1) was born Bet. June 02, 1833 - June 01, 1834 in Ohio. He married PHEBE CLIFFORD. She was born Bet. June 02, 1839 - June 01, 1840 in Ohio.
Child of MORRIS STANLEY and PHEBE CLIFFORD is:
|i.||NELLIE4 STANLEY, b. Bet. June 02, 1858 - June 01, 1859; m. JOHN B. CHAPMAN.|
6. LUCIEN BLISS3 STANLEY (DANIEL SUTHERLAND2, JOHN1) was born March 13, 1839 in Northfield, Ohio, and died March 07, 1920 in Cleveland, Ohio. He married ELIZABETH ANNE BALLOU December 07, 1867 in Kingsville, Ashtabula County, Ohio, daughter of EMOR BALLOU and SUSAN VAN BUREN. She was born April 17, 1850 in Providence, Saratoga County, New York, and died May 22, 1925 in Cleveland, Ohio. They are buried in the Northfield-Macedonia Cemetery, Northfield, Ohio.
Lucien Stanley was likely named after Lucien Bliss, husband of Laura (Weeks) Bliss. They came to Ohio from Vermont in 1832. She was a very good friend of Mrs. Stanley and both were very active in the Methodist Church.2 According to his Civil War records, Lucien was 5' 11 1/2", gray eyes, black hair with a dark complexion. In the 1880 census, he was listed as a railroad contractor.
Children of LUCIEN STANLEY and ELIZABETH BALLOU are:
|7.||i.||ADELBERT BALLOU4 STANLEY, b. January 05, 1870, Ashland, Nebraska; d. July 27, 1941, Franklin, Nebraska.|
|ii.||EDNA MABEL STANLEY, b. August 01, 1874, Ohio; m. (1) DELBERT F. CLARK; b. 1874; m. (2) NORRIS THOMAS.|
|iii.||MARTIN EMOR STANLEY, b. December 22, 1876, Nebraska; d. July 13, 1920, Cuyahoga County, Ohio; m. ELSIE CAMPBELL; b. 1886.|
7. ADELBERT BALLOU4 STANLEY (LUCIEN BLISS3, DANIEL SUTHERLAND2, JOHN1) was born January 05, 1870 in Ashland, Nebraska, and died July 27, 1941 in Franklin, Nebraska. He married ROSE MAY STAMBAUGH January 18, 1893 in Ashland, Nebraska, daughter of JOSEPH STAMBAUGH and CATHERINE ZIMMERMAN. She was born February 18, 1872 in Ashland, Nebraska, and died July 20, 1946 in Ashland, Nebraska. Their land was in Clear Creak Township, which is just north of Ashland.
Children of ADELBERT STANLEY and ROSE STAMBAUGH are:
|i.||KATHRYN LUCILLE5 STANLEY, b. April 13, 1895, Ashland, Saunders County, Nebraska; d. 1952; m. FREDERICK J. GUNTHER, August 07, 1918, Saunders County, Nebraska; b. 1891.|
|ii.||ADELBERT DANIEL STANLEY, b. August 15, 1900, Ashland, Nebraska; d. April 24, 1962; m. MARY DOGGETT, January 24, 1930; b. October 18, 1912.|
|iii.||ELIZABETH ANN STANLEY, b. January 27, 1903, Ashland, Nebraska; d. June 12, 1971, Ashland, Nebraska; m. JOHN ADAMS SCOTT, May 12, 1929, Papillion, Sarpy County, Nebraska; b. October 16, 1878, Ashland, Nebraska; d. June 27, 1969, Ashland, Nebraska.
Grandma described her ancestry as "primarily Scotch, Irish and Pennsylvania Dutch". She was named after her grandmother, Elizabeth Ann Ballou Stanley. She graduated from Ashland High School in 1920 and had a role in the Senior Class play. She met Grandpa Scott at age 16 when she started working at Scott's Grocery.
|iv.||LILLIAN BLYTHE STANLEY, b. March 11, 1909, Ashland, Nebraska; d. November 04, 1989, Ashland, Nebraska; m. HARLAND FINLEY STARNS, December 07, 1928, Fremont, NE; b. May 05, 1905, Bruning, Nebraska; d. May 24, 1988, Ashland, Nebraska.
From Who's Who in Nebraska - 1940
STARNS, HARLAND FINLEY: Dentist; b Bruning, Neb May 5, 1905, s of John Finley Starns-Carrie Benson; ed Bloomington HS 1924; U of N, DDS 1931; special study in oral surgery 1933, Omaha; Chillicothe Mo Bus Coll 1924-25; Delta Sigma Delta; m Lillian Stanley Dec 7, 1928 Fremont; s John Finley, Del Stanley; d Sarah Sue; 1931- dentist, Ashland; 1937- pres sch bd; Neb St & ADA; pres C of C; Ashland Golf Assn, Meth Ch; hobbies, golf, Cocker Spaniels, stamps, model airplanes; res Ashland.
|v.||MABEL JOSEPHINE STANLEY, b. October 19, 1898, Ashland, Nebraska; d. March 25, 1899.|
|vi.||GLADYS ROSE STANLEY, b. May 23, 1906, Ashland, Nebraska; d. November 11, 1907.|